Restaurant Server – The State Club
Campus Enterprises Mission: Campus Enterprises is NC State’s lead division of retail and hospitality organizations. Each unit shares a common goal: deliver quality and efficient services with dedicated financial support for student activity and scholarships.
Purpose: Provide vital support to Campus Enterprises and NC State Dining by providing an excellent dining experience for all guests.
Location: The State Club
Work Schedule: M-F 10:am- 2:30pm W-F 4:30pm-9:30pm
Essential functions and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Responsible for clearing tables, serving food and other tasks as assigned in accordance with NC State Dining’s standards and procedures.
- Knowledge of table settings and service ware, the ability to lift and carry large, heavy trays on a continuous basis throughout the shift.
- Setting up, replenishing and cleaning food and beverage stations.
- Ability to communicate effectively with supervisors, peers and customers.
- Provide exemplary customer service to every guest.
- Experience serving tables in a full service restaurant or private club.
- Knowledge of the proper steps of service when waiting tables.
- Basic wine and beer knowledge.
- Must have a pleasant manner and truly enjoy people. Be able to sustain a friendly demeanor with poise and self-confidence while under pressure.
- Must be organized and systematically follows up. Be on time for work, provide prompt service to guest and members, complete all task assigned including opening and closing duties and restocking service areas.
- Must have a positive and professional attitude that generates positive results.
- Must enjoy pleasing people and contributing to an atmosphere of trust and unity with co-workers and guest.
- Must be willing to take charge of a station and realize when and what kind of service guest and members need and respond with a sense of urgency.
- Must enjoy working at a fast pace.
- Must possess a good cultural awareness of the lifestyle, ethnic and nationality mixes of co-workers and guest. Enjoy and desire to work with many people of diverse backgrounds.
- Must possess the ability to be flexible, diplomatic, patient, understanding, and cooperative. Cooperatively works with co-workers in the fast paced work environment that supports a common goal of providing the highest quality of guest service.
- Should be sensitive and is able to anticipate guest needs.
- Must possess the ability to be a good and active listener, enabling guest to feel at ease. Be able to quickly discern and understand guest/members needs and be concerned with accuracy and quality.
- Must demonstrate loyalty and commitment to the restaurant operation and co-workers. Must have a strong sense of honesty when sharing work responsibilities equally.
- Must have the ability to adjust timing and service according to the expectations and needs of multiple guest and situations. Must strive to continually develop and refine skills based upon personal experience.
- Must understand food and beverage menu descriptions and be able to comfortably guide guest through meal selections. Should take constant initiative to keep informed about new food and beverage items.
- Must demonstrate politeness, courtesy, and respect at all times, enabling co-workers and guest to feel comfortable. Must work to support and environment that is relaxed and free from discord.
- Must have endurance and a high energy level and enjoy working at a quick, steady, and methodical pace. Must be enthusiastic and have the ability to step back and find a sense of humor in order to minimize the stress and tension of the job.
Opportunities for Skill Development
Working as a member of the Campus Enterprises team, students gain valuable experience and develop skills that can be transferred to their individual career paths. There are opportunities for advancement and leadership growth.
Campus Enterprises at NC State University Hiring Standards
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Apply for this position (opens in a new tab)