Importance of On-Campus Job Experience

|

Do you ever wonder what is your on-campus job really going to for you? 

Recently, our Employee Development & Engagement Coordinator attended the Engineering Career Fair to talk to employers. She found that about 9 out of 10 employers want to see your on-campus job experience on your resume. Here are a few things employers had to say:

• “I like to hire the whole person, so I definitely would want to see a student job on a resume. Technical skills are important, but I also want to know more about who you are.”
  • “Work ethic, communication, and teamwork. That’s what I want to hire and it’s hard to find sometimes. I like to see any work experience that a student has, not just academics.
  • “I’m willing to teach you how to be an engineer. I don’t really want to teach you how to just have a job. A student job, or any job, really teaches you those skills. I learned so much from working part-time in college.”

So what does this mean for me?

Your experience here with Campus Enterprises, or any job you’ve had while in college is just as important as your academics. At times you may think balancing everything is rough, but your hard work will pay off when you land the career of your dreams! Through working with us, you are gaining so many skills you might not have if you weren’t involved in anything else besides academics. If you want to develop yourself even more, we offer Professional Development Workshops, available to allCampus Enterprises Student Employees, to help you become a more well-rounded candidate when the time comes!  Check out go.ncsu.edu/ce-development for a calendar of upcoming opportunities, in-person and online!