Quitting With Appropriate Notice

|
Photo by Romain V on Unsplash

Quitting a job is something that everyone has done at one point or another…but it is still a nerve wracking process that can leave many people feeling stressed, anxious, and even guilty. But more often than not, your supervisor and coworkers will understand your reason for leaving. It could be that you overestimated the time you could work with your academic schedule. You might have a conflict with the team that is making work difficult and draining. You could have found an opportunity elsewhere that better suited your goals, aspirations, and lifestyle.

When you decide to quit a job, the courteous and professional thing to do is to inform your supervisor you’re leaving two weeks beforehand. This gives your supervisor and your coworkers enough time to figure out how your tasks will be delegated and how the business will run in your absence. You should do this both by verbally telling your supervisor and by leaving them a note. It is essential to have a two weeks’ notice in writing, just in case. Pictured below is an example of an acceptable two weeks’ notice letter.

Sample resignation letter reading: Dear Mr. Smith, I'm writing this letter to officially announce my resignation from the sales assistant position at XY Clothing, two weeks from now, on July 24th. I want to thank you for trusting me two years ago and offering me this position despite my lack of experience. Your amazing company and staff have helped me grow and develop my sales skills throughout these years and I am very grateful for that.  If you will need my assistance with the transition during these upcoming weeks, please let me know. I will be glad to help. Sincerely, Daniel Bond
Courtesy of Novoresume.com

But when you do submit your two weeks’ notice, do not think of it as an excuse to slack off on your work. When quitting a job, you do not want to burn bridges. You want to be remembered as a dependable, hardworking person. Give your job the same level of diligence and responsibility as always. Falling behind and becoming indifferent when you have two weeks left is unfair to your coworkers and supervisor, who will have to pick up the slack, which adds a lot to their tasks and schedules. 

Furthermore, you will want some references for any future endeavors and a great person to start with is your supervisor. Producing shoddy work, acting disrespectfully, and exiting with rancor will sour relationships. It is important that you reach out to your supervisor and colleagues and see if they would approve of being added to your resume as a reference for a future opportunity. But, chances are, you will only get these references if you continue to work hard, learn, and leave the team functioning cohesively.

If you have had a good relationship with your colleagues and supervisor, quitting a job can result in a bittersweet rush of emotions. It is perfectly fine to feel excited for the new step in your professional life, but it can be tough to leave behind the people with whom you like to work. But there is no rule against staying in touch…if you’ve had the pleasure of making friends at your workplace, it’s a fine idea to maintain those relationships. Quitting a job does not mean you have to abandon everything associated with that job. 

Now that you know how to quit a job properly and with respect to your soon to be former coworkers and supervisors, you can now feel comfortable starting the next chapter of your career. Good luck!

Resources:

How to Give a Two Weeks’ Notice – 3 Samples Included

The Best Way to Quit Your Job