Campus Enterprises’ Massing Family chosen NC State Family of the Year

|

The Massings, a family involved at NC State as both students and employees, were chosen for the 2019-2020 Family of the Year and recognized during the NC State vs. Ball State football game on Sept 21. 

Jena Massing, a junior and NC State Dining concessions worker, wrote the winning essay that gave her family the opportunity to be celebrated this past weekend. Her brother Jake recently graduated from NC State, but has a long history with NC State Dining, having worked in concessions as a student and is now a supervisor at the Terrace Dining Room. Youngest sister Julia is a first-year at the university. 

The Massing family is originally from Buffalo, New York and moved to North Carolina over a decade ago. Their commitment to the Pack shows their love for the university.

Jena said her family was beyond ecstatic to win and surprised that they were chosen.

“When I got the email that we won, my jaw dropped,” Jena recounted. “Right after, I called my family to share the news, since I did not tell them that I even applied for Family of the Year.”

In addition to attending the football game, the Massing family enjoyed brunch with Chancellor Randy Woodson. Julia said this was her first time meeting Woodson, and it was an incredible experience.

“The brunch was great,” she said. “Chancellor Woodson was very friendly and took the time to talk to us, despite the number of people that were there for him. He also thought it was hilarious that we call our grandmother ‘Nanny,’ because he called his grandmother the same thing!”

During the football game, the family received a commemorative plaque on-field and watched the game from the Chancellor’s box. 

“It was quite nerve-racking, knowing that we would be out on the field in front of a huge crowd full of parents and students,” Jena said. “Once we actually got on the field, it was incredible to see how many people were there to support the Wolfpack. We truly have an amazing fan base and it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience that my family will never forget.”