The 2021-22 SHRA performance cycle will end on March 31, so now is the time to start planning for annual SHRA performance appraisals. All employees who are active — i.e., they are at least six months into their performance cycle (this includes employee transfers) — as of March 31 must receive a written annual appraisal, which will include an overall performance rating for the cycle. Performance appraisals and ratings must be completed and submitted no later than April 30, 2022.
Supervisors must perform these duties to close out the performance cycle:
- Review institutional and individual goals and rate employees based on their performance.
- Determine a final rating.
- Before meeting with employees, present their appraisals to the next-level supervisor to review and sign.
- Hold private meetings with employees to provide feedback about their performance throughout the cycle. Provide employees a copy of the completed appraisal and rating.
- Meet with your supervisor to discuss your annual appraisal.
- Discuss your achievements, accomplishments and professional development goals with your supervisor.
- Listen to and seek to understand your supervisor’s feedback.
- Discuss any concerns regarding your ratings or your supervisor’s comments.
We recognize that the pandemic and our evolving work environment continues to affect the delivery of performance appraisals. Review meetings can be conducted by using teleconferencing tools, such as Zoom or Google Meet, via phone or in-person. Acknowledgements are required from the supervisor, next level manager and the employee, which can be accomplished via physical signature, digital signatures or electronic confirmation.
You are encouraged to review the guidance developed by University Human Resources that provides tips and resources to help you prepare and conduct reviews in a virtual environment.
The 2022-23 SHRA performance cycle will begin April 1. It is also time to start preparing to engage in discussions regarding goals, objectives, professional development opportunities, including Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) initiatives for the next cycle. The Office for Institutional Equity and Diversity (OIED) provides a variety of resources that are “OIED Approved” for DEI professional enrichment. The 2022-23 SHRA Performance Plans must be completed and submitted no later than April 30, 2022.
For more information about the SHRA Performance Management Program, including tools, resources and training, please visit the SHRA Performance Management website. You can also contact Liz Martin, Campus Enterprises Performance Consultant, at (919) 515-6351. Completed Performance Appraisals and Performance Plans are to be scanned and emailed to Liz Martin at Ewcreech@ncsu.edu no later than April 30, 2022.
Thank you for your participation and cooperation in making the SHRA Performance Management Program successful!